Last updated March 22, 2020
The Site is not intended for children under 18 years of age. No one under age 18 may provide any Personal Data to or on the Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on this Site or on or through any of its features/register on the Site, make any purchases through the Site, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Site or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Data from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 18, please contact us at [email protected].
2. What We Collect/Process
Data You Provide Voluntarily
All Users: We may ask you to provide Personal Data voluntarily when you access certain parts of the Site, such as if you sign up to receive our newsletter, report a problem with the Site, complete a survey, or apply for a position with us. If you choose to communicate with us, we may collect additional data you provide, including copies of your communications and the method of communication you used (email address, phone number, etc.). Additionally, we may collect your search queries on the Site.
Subscribers: In addition to the Personal Data we collect from all Users, if you choose to register for a paid Subscription, then at the time of registration you will be asked to provide: your first and last name, username, email address, and a payment method (credit card or debit card details). We will also collect and store what Premium Content, if any, that you choose to bookmark.
Automatically Collected Data
For all Users of the Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns as you navigate through and interact with the Site. Please see Section 4: Cookies below for more details.
3. Purpose for Collection/Processing
We collect and process your Personal Data on one or more legal bases related to the particular information at issue and the context in which we collect it. Generally speaking, our basis for obtaining and using your Personal Data is:
- our legitimate interest in providing, maintaining, and improving the Site
- to defend or prosecute a legal proceeding such as a lawsuit or arbitration
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide
- it in any other way we may describe when you provide the information
- for any other purpose based on your consent (please see Your Data Rights below for more details on withdrawing consent).
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Data or use the Personal Data we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
We do not sell your Personal Data that we collect.
We use the Personal Data provided by Subscribers upon registration (described above) for the following purposes:
- To fulfill contractual obligations with you, including delivering Premium Content
- To provide you with notices about your Subscription, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to the Site or your Subscription.
- To facilitate payment processing via our third-party processor, Stripe, Inc.
Automatically Collected Data
See Section 4 Cookies below for additional information on what information we collect via automatic methods and how we use that information.
Types of Cookies we Use
We use the following types of cookies, for the general purpose of improving your experience, as further detailed below.
Strictly necessary cookies: These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Site. They are used for the authentication, registration, and log-in process that allow you to access secure areas of the Site, such as Premium Content or payment services. These cookies will usually be deleted when you log out. However, in some cases, they may remain afterwards to remember your Site preferences when logged out. These cookies help keep the Site safe and secure.
Functionality/Preference cookies: These cookies are used to recognize you when you return to the Site. They enable us to personalize your experience on the Site, like ensuring the Site is presented to you in the most effective manner for your device and speeding up your navigation on the Site.
Newsletter-related Cookies: This site offers newsletter or email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered, and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to newsletter subscribers or Subscribers.
Analytics/Statistical cookies: We use Google Analytics to help us to understand how you use the Site, and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies allow us to collection information about your use of the Site, such as IP address, type of device, operating system, referring URLs, country information, pages visited, date and time of page visits, and how long you spend on the Site. This helps us to produce engaging content, to ensure that Users are finding what they are looking for easily, and to administer, maintain, and improve the Site, (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes).
Targeting/Marketing Cookies: We do not use targeting, marketing, or advertising cookies on the Site.
5. Disclosure of Your Information Personal Data
- to our subsidiaries and affiliates
- to service providers we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Data confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them, including Mailchimp, Stripe, Inc., and Google Analytics
- to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by us about our Users is among the assets transferred
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Trivium, our Users, or others
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the Personal Data
- with your consent
We may share, sell, or disclose aggregated information about Users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
6. Your Data Rights
You have the right to:
- Request access to, correct or delete any Personal Data that you have provided to us, including your profile information. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
- Review and change certain Personal Data by logging into the Site and visiting your profile.
- Remove and/or reject most cookies from the Site with your browser settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how the Site performs for you.
- If you are a resident of the EEA, you can object to processing of your Personal Data, request us to restrict processing of your Personal Data, or request to have your Personal Data in a portable format. To the extent we have collected and/or processed your Personal Data with your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
- To make a complaint at any time to the data privacy authority in your jurisdiction. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach such authority, so please contact us in the first instance at the information in Section 9 below.
You may contact us as described in Section 9. We may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to Personal Data related to the particular email address from which you send the request. Making a verifiable request does not require you to register for a Subscription with us. The verifiable request should:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Data or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
7. Data Security and Retention
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Data from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Any payment transactions are encrypted in accordance with the policies of our third-party payment processor, Stripe, Inc..
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to your Subscription, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Data transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of Personal Data is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
We will only retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Data, the purposes for which we process your Personal Data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
9. Contact Information